Thursday, January 23, 2014

January 12, 1864



January 12, 1864

---As reported in the New York Times, Maj. Gen. George M. Meade on this date is visiting his hometown of Philadelphia, and after a crowd gathers and sings him a serenade, he addresses the people, making a plea for enlistment:

FELLOW-SOLDIERS: Those of you belonging to the Army of the Potomac who are from the field of Gettysburgh, as many of you doubtless are, need no light to recognize my voice and my features. I am delighted to see you here, and glad to see that you have so far recovered from your wounds that you are able to march out on this inclement night. . . . I am glad to see that you are all so well and able to leave your quarters to-night. I hope to find you soon in the ranks, where I am obliged to return. . . . We want you all to return and to bring all you can with you; and may you all live to see what we all want to see, this struggle brought to a speedy and a glorious end.

It is a question of numbers and of time. You all know that if we bring the men to the work, it will be ended speedily. . . . “

Later in the evening, Gen. Meade again addresses a crowd:

I am much obliged to you, my friends, for your compliment in giving three cheers for Gettysburgh. . . . and I am happy to hear you remember Gettysburgh and its deeds of heroic daring. . . .

As I said when I took command of the Army of the Potomac, I say to you now, I have no pledges to make. When I return to my army, all I can say is that we will do the best we can to suppress the rebellion and to overthrow all those who are in arms against our common country; and we will do the best we can to have our flag respected, and to have it wave over every foot of ground from the Canadas to the Rio Grande and the golden sands of the Pacific. The banner of the Stars and Bars we will number among the things of the past, and the rebellion, with all its associations, will be remembered as things that have existed, but have no longer any being.

What we need is men. I want you here, all of you, every man of you, however small may be his influence, to use that influence to send recruits to the army. The more we get the better will it be for that army, and the quicker will the war be ended. The war must be ended by hard fighting, and it becomes every man, woman and child to work for the increase of our armies in the field, and when that is done I trust that next Summer will come to us with peace restored to the land, and happiness, contentment and prosperity pervading the entire country.
 
Maj. Gen. George Gordon Meade, USA
---Near Mossy Creek, Tennessee, Federal cavalry under Col. McCook attacks two regiments of Texas troops and puts them to flight.

No comments:

Post a Comment