Tuesday, September 17, 2013

September 1, 1863



September 1, 1863

--Battle of Backbone Mountain, Arkansas:  A Union advance from Fort Smith is temporarily stopped by a small Rebel force, but the Yankees press on and break the Southern line, and the Rebels retreat to Waldron.

---Confederate infantryman Louis Leon, of the 53rd North Carolina Infantry, writes in his journal of a search for deserters:

September 1—To-day we went on a general hunt in full force. We went into a house where we suspected there was a deserter. We hunted through all the out-houses, then went to the house, and the lady strongly denied there being any one there, but would not give us permission to look. We then searched the house, but found no one. I then proposed that we go in the loft. She objected again. But of course we were determined. It was pitch-dark in the loft. We called in, but no answer came. I then proposed, in a loud voice, so that if any one was there they could hear me, that we fix bayonets and stick around and satisfy ourselves that no one was there. Still no answer. I then got in the loft, took my gun and commenced sticking around. At last an answer came from the far corner that he would surrender. The way I got into the loft was, I being a little fellow, and Si Wolf a tall man, they put me on his shoulder, and in that way I crawled in. We then left for camp, passed a church, and was in time to see a wedding. We drilled for the ladies, and had a good time.


---Kate Cumming, a nurse in a Confederate hospital in Georgia, records in her journal her response to the news of Gen. John H. Morgan being mistreated in prison:

I see by the same paper that General Morgan, who is now a prisoner, has had his head shaved, and been treated with all kinds of indignities. These things seem almost incredible. Why, savages respect a brave man, and a man like General Morgan, one would think, would gain the admiration of any people who had any sense of chivalry; and we all know how kindly he has always treated whoever was in his power. But they can not degrade such a man; his spirit will soar above any insult they can heap upon him.


---Susan Bradford Eppes, a Southern woman, writes in her diary about the scarcity of dry goods and the necessity of learning how to “make do”:

We are busy spinning, weaving, sewing and knitting, trying to get together clothing to keep our dear soldiers warm this winter. Brother Junius writes that he has worn all his under garments to shreds and wants to know if it would be possible to get some flannel, or some kind of wool goods to make him some new ones? We have tried but none can be had, so I am spinning some wool into knitting yarn and with some big wooden needles I have I am going to knit both drawers and shirts for him. I am so impatient to get to work on them and see if my plan is feasible, that I spend all the time I can at the spinning wheel. I know the shirts can be knit, for I made some for father last winter which he found quite comfortable but I am somewhat doubtful as to the drawers. After awhile we will learn how to supply most of our needs.

No comments:

Post a Comment