Monday, February 13, 2012

Jan. 26, 1862

Jan. 26, 1862: Elisha Franklin Paxton, an officer in the Confederate Army with Jackson’s troops, writes to his wife on this date:

"I don’t think, Love, you would know me if you could see me just now. I think I am dirtier than I ever was before, and may be lousy besides. I have not changed clothes for two weeks, and my pants have a hole in each leg nearly big enough for a dog to creep through. I have been promising myself the luxury of soap and water all over and a change of clothes to-day, but the wind blows so hard and cold I really think I should freeze in the operation. I am afraid the dirt is striking in, as I am somewhat afflicted with the baby’s complaint—a pain under the apron. I am not much afraid of it, however, as I succeeded in getting down a good dinner, which with me is generally a sign of pretty fair health. Now, Love, I will bid you good-bye, as it is very cold and uncomfortable writing, leaving the last side of my sheet unwritten."

–Lt. William Thompson Lusk of the Federal Army at Port Royal, So. Carolina, writes to his mother of his scouting exploits to beat camp boredom:

We are left here quite unnoticed on Port Royal Island, in seeming safety, though there are many troops around us. An army [the Rebels], boasting much, awaits us on the mainland, but an army having still a wholesome dread of Yankees. I made them a sort of visit the other night (25th), passing up Hospa Creek in a light canoe, hidden by the darkness and the long grass of the marshes. A negro guide paddled so lightly that, as we glided along, one might have heard the dropping of a pin. It was fine sport and as we passed close by the enemy’s pickets we would place our thumbs to our noses, and gracefully wave our fingers toward the unsuspecting souls. This was by no means vulgarly intended, but as we could not speak, we thus symbolically expressed the thoughts that rose in our bosoms. We pushed on until coming to a point where a stream like a mere thread lay before us. Here we paused, for this was a stream we wished to examine. At the mouth of the stream stood the sentries of the enemy. We could hear their voices talking. We lay under the river grass, watching. Soon a boat pushed across the little stream to the opposite shore. We shoved our canoe far into the marsh, and lay there concealed. Then all was still and we thought it time to return, so back we went, and returned home unnoticed and in safety. Such little excursions give a zest to the dulnessof camp.--Orders are drafted by Confederate Secrretary of War Judah P. Benjamin for transferring Gen. Pierre G.T. Beauregard (the hero of Ft. Sumter and of First Bull Run) from the Rebel Army in Virginia to serve under Albert Sidney Johnston’s command in the West. Friction between Beauregard and both his commander Joe Johnston and President Davis make this move prudent:

WAR DEPARTMENT, C. S. A.,

Richmond, Va., January 26, 1862.
General JOSEPH E. JOHNSTON, Centreville, Va.:

SIR: Inclosed you will find an order detaching General Beauregard from the army under your command and assigning him to do duty at Columbus, Ky., which you are requested to forward to him at once. Regretting that the exigencies of the public service force us to deprive you of the aid of this valuable officer, I still entertain undiminished confidence in your capacity, with the aid of the able generals who still surround you, to maintain the position which you have thus far successfully defended.
I am, your obedient servant,
J. P. BENJAMIN,
Secretary of War.

No comments:

Post a Comment