Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Dec. 5, 1861

Dec. 5, 1861: Calvin Shedd, a private in the 7th New Hampshire Inf. Reg., in training at Camp Hale, N.H., writes to his wife and children:

". . . I have just got back from Dress Parade and will commence writing again I have been stingy of my Doughnuts and have not eaten them all yet I am well except my cold which is not well yet. Miner is here & is gaining he looks much better than he did Fred Black was here yesterday he lives at Dumbarton his family is well Floyt was here the other night to see me he is selling Patents yet, I will begin again I have just been . . . a change in the morning we shall have Coffee Bread & Beef for Dinner Bread Coffee & Beef except the Coffee we shall have water so that we have a change three times a day it is rumored that we shall not leave the state and all sorts of rumors I dont take much stock in any of them.

"This is a splendid looking regt on Parade with their Dress Coats on, the lines extending about 40 rods.

"I settled with Gust Walker at Concord got a little money enough to pay the assessment on Insurance I am waiting to get my board money and [ ] Kiss Ada Anna & my Baby Lily tell them to be good Girls tell them Father thinks of them many times a day & night."

No comments:

Post a Comment