Thursday, December 5, 2013

November 11, 1863

November 11, 1863

---Gen. James Longstreet, in disagreement with Bragg’s strategy, writes, in a clearly nettled tone, to Bragg’s aide-de-camp in regard to Bragg’s testy inquiries as to why Longstreet has not moved more quickly:

HEADQUARTERS, Sweet Water, November 11, 1863.
Lieutenant T. ELLIS,
Aide-de-Camp:

LIEUTENANT: Yours of the 9th, inclosing a copy of a telegram from Major General S. Jones, is received. Please inform the commanding general that I am fully aware of the importance of activity in military operations. I have lost no time on any occasion during this war. The delay that occurs is one that might have been prevented, but not by myself.

The troops are not yet here, the supply train is not here, nor have my troops any meat rations. I was assured by the commanding general that we should find a surplus of provisions in this country, and really we find none but breadstuffs.

As soon as I find a probability of moving without almost certain starvation, I shall move, provided the troops are up. If the troops that are opposed to me are in a demoralized condition, as your letter intimates, without being beaten in battle, what must be the condition of those of General Rosecrans’ army? I think, however, that it is a bad principle in war to despise your enemy.

I remain, very respectfully, your obedient servant,
J. LONGSTREET,

Lieutenant-General.

No comments:

Post a Comment